If there is only one time in the whole year when anyone feels as though they are the most memorable, celebrated person in the world, it’s the birthday. It is the most exciting day of the year for both kids and adults, for which they wait. Hence, celebrate it in style! To celebrate in style, what could be more appropriate than a Picnic Birthday Party? Even better if it is set up as a boho picnic table.
When all of your social media feeds are overflowing with the notable trends of boho picnic table set-ups. Then these super stylish ongoing trends will influence and inspire you. Hence, I decided to throw an elevated version of the picnic birthday party for my little girl’s 5th birthday.
So, look no further if you’re looking for some excellent birthday party ideas, especially a boho picnic table setup for your kid’s birthday celebration. I have explained in detail what you need to execute an elegant and stylish picnic birthday party that will be memorable and fun! It was a complete delight to style my little girl’s picnic party.
For more outdoor birthday party ideas, check out my other post on birthday celebrations: Outdoor Birthday Party – Creative, Elegant, and Memorable.
Here’s all the inspiration you need to have a Perfect Picnic Birthday Party
The setting for a boho picnic birthday party can be any outdoor space, like a neighborhood park, a field of flowers, the beach, the park, a garden, or even someone’s backyard; start by finding an excellent picnic spot. A picnic can be designed indoors as well. You don’t even have to look for an outdoor space; transform the indoor area into a boho-style dining area.
I decided to set up this picnic birthday party in my backyard for the convenience of accessibility of space. In my backyard, I can design and decorate at my own pace, and I don’t have to haul all the stuff to the event location.
Let’s look at the elements that come together to make this a never-to-be-forgotten birthday for my little girl as we deconstruct this party planning.
The backdrop for Cake Table and Cake Table Set up
A young kid's birthday party would be incomplete without a cake. I have used multipaneled pastel-colored panels of varying heights to create the cake table’s backdrop. This type of backdrop is famous by different names: a triptych/polyptych backdrop, arch wall backdrop, Chiara backdrop, or panel backdrop. I wanted to use this Chiara Arch wall Backdrop decor for the cake table set up to set the event’s tone.
These arched panels are the perfect and versatile way to add a wow factor. After looking and searching for many rental and party event companies, I was finally able to arrange the backdrops. DIY was out of the question because of all my other commitments and time crunch. Glad that I found them in pastel colors. This wall created a perfect palate to decorate with clusters of balloons further.
Color Theme for Decoration
The color themes I picked up for the balloons were mauve, lavender, peach, baby pink, rose pink golden, and white. Place four significant size clusters of balloons of varying sizes at four points on the arch wall backdrop.
I also added eight ft-long balloon swag at one corner of the entrance and a five ft-tall balloon column on the floor to direct guests to where the entrance is. I used the garage entrance since the party was in the backyard.
How to add Boho Vibe?
Portrait on Easel
I placed a portrait on a display easel of the happy-go-lucky birthday honoree on the other side of the panel backdrop wall. I also added a cluster of balloons on the bottom of the easel.
Custom Birthday Sign
Place a gorgeous custom happy birthday sign in the center part of the backdrop wall. I received so many compliments on it from the guests. The birthday sign was made of MDF wood board. Found this on Etsy @GuthmanGifts.
At this point, the backdrop was set; I only needed a table to put the cake on. Instead of a table, I chose different heights of three classy gold round pedestals with snow-white tops, which I found perfect for cake and the occasion.
How to set up an Insanely Gorgeous Boho Picnic Party Table?
I tried to create a space for my daughter’s friends to sit and enjoy their time on an elegant boho-styled picnic table. I created my unique style with a set color scheme I had in my mind. To create this gorgeous boho picnic set-up, you would need the following:
- Pallets or low-height boho tables to create the ambiance: I could have been more successful in finding pallets or low-height tables in my local area, but I wasn’t. Over Etsy, everything was so expensive that it was beyond consideration. At one point, I thought of changing my entire theme until I found this chaise lounge without armrests on Amazon. The height and width of this chaise lounge were just right for my purpose. This amazon found chaise lounge came as a savior to me. Two chaise lounges were used in this boho-inspired picnic set-up.
- Rustic rugs in different styles and textures: I used different textured rugs to create soft boho vibes. First, I used two outdoor jute rugs to create a rustic feeling and then layered them with sheepskin rugs to make them comfortable and soft. You can find these rugs at any furniture or home-style store. I sourced them from At Home store.
- Lots of throw Pillows: Different shades, styles, and textures of plush pillows were placed around the table for seating. When it comes to pillows, more is less. So throw as many as you can. Throw pillow I got from At Home store.
- Table setting with boho vibes: An dusty rose cheesecloth runner was placed from one end to another to bind the whole look together. Round woven rattan placemats were used for the rustic vibe. The table runner, as well as rattan woven placemats, were bought from Amazon.
- Flowers and lots of flowers: Vibes of flowers bring any event a fresh feel and life. If your budget allows, try to work with fresh flowers; if not, fake can work just as well. You can also try to mix and match between fresh and fake. I made several small flower arrangements with peach color carnations and peach roses with white baby breath. Put those arrangements in a row of sleek bud glass vases throughout the table. These bud glass vases I got from Amazon as well.
- Balloons are a must at a kids’ birthday table: The original idea was to have a row of giant balloons with streamers, but the day turned out to be super windy. It was tough to arrange and stay put on anything on the table the speed of the wind was blowing. Even after putting heavier weights, the balloons needed to be in place. So ditched the idea of a row of balloons and kept one in the middle between the tables, which was then inserted in the ground with a stake.
What to serve at a Picnic Birthday Party?
Every place setting was served with Strawberry lemonade in cute 10-ounce milk bottles with a lid and an individually wrapped treat, cotton candy in an ice cream cone.
A picnic birthday party is impossible without a snack bar adorned with sugary treats for all the energetic kids. A white cart with golden wheels and a glass bar table created a snack bar area. A dusty rose cheesecloth table runner, rose grapevine garlands, fresh flower arrangements, and balloon bunches. Underneath the cart were displays of rose and grapevine bouquets. Two white wicker baskets had cascading linen fabric from the cart and roses to complete the look of the snack bar area.
Cupcake & Cotton Candy
Cupcakes and cotton candy bags were displayed on the snack cart. Cupcakes were iced in ombre icing rosettes to match the birthday girl’s outfit and served on 2 tier marble tray. Each cotton candy bag was labeled with a theme tag of a butterfly to match the cake.
Flufftini Drink Station
Nothing says “celebrate” like some sparkling drinks! I planned for FLUFFTINI (fluff +martini) Cotton Floss Fizz (non-alcoholic) drink station for kids on one end of the cart. Small martini glasses rimmed with pink sugar were used for serving the cotton candy fizz drink. Arrange the rimmed glasses on the bar table, along with non-alcoholic champagne drinks. Individually packed cotton candy for fizz drinks was kept on a tiered glass tray near the bar table.
To prepare the drink, the guest would open the pack of cotton candy in the glass and then pour the favorite champagne.
A bit about the cake:
I’m not a professional baker, but I love baking and designing cakes for my family. This was the first two-tier cake I baked. The bottom tier was chocolate flavor, and the top one was vanilla. The inspiration for the cake color in ombre orange and butterflies came from the birthday girl’s outfit. I sourced the butterflies from Etsy. The overall cake design concept was from a picnic birthday party; garden, flowers, grass, and the elements of an outdoor backyard.
Goody Bag or Favor Table Display
Why overlook the Goody bags table when you have mapped out every other station and minor detail of the party? This is as important as all the other elements of the event.
I had a vague visualization of how I wanted to display it. To achieve that look, first, I draped a table with rose pink satin fabric flowing to the ground. Then I used a white wooden shelf to place small fresh flower bouquets and candles.
Then arranged the rose pink polka dots goody bags on the table. A small stand with a thank you sign was displayed in one corner.
Each bag contained a beautifully packed succulent and a decorated tea light holder since the birthday party was part of the Diwali celebration.
I hope you enjoyed this Picnic Birthday Party concept as much as my birthday girl admired it.