Nutritionally enhanced Multigrain Baked Methi Mathri (Fenugreek Savory Crackers) recipe made from seven different healthy grain flours, almond flour, and fresh Methi (fenugreek). Much healthier than any other store-bought or deep-fried snacks. The perfect compliment for your evening tea time.
With a little preparation and the right ingredients, snack time can be healthy, tasty, and hassle-free. Easy to pack and carry along during travels.
Switching from Deep-fried to Baked Mathri
Multigrain Baked Methi Mathri is an enhanced and healthy version of the traditional Indian savory crackers called Mathri, which is made of just refined flour and deep-fried. Baking is used as a method of cooking to avoid deep frying, however, some clarified butter is needed to make these crackers soft. When stitching from consumption of deep-fried items to baked recipes, it takes some time to acquire the taste. The good news is that baked mathri can be stored long-term without spoiling, as long as you have the right temperature and moisture conditions.
Health Benefits of Baked Multigrain Methi Mathri
Multigrain Baked Methi Mathri recipe uses flours made from seven different healthy, nutritious grains namely wheat, chickpeas, pearl millet, finger millet, sorghum, amaranth, and almond. Together these grains make this recipe high in dietary fiber, proteins, and other nutrients. The addition of fenugreek (methi) gives the crackers a unique flavor and brings other health benefits such as lowering blood cholesterol and reducing the risk of heart disease.
Good for Lactation Support
These lactation savory bites aka baked methi mathri are made with all galactagogues ingredients which help in boosting breast milk supply. Carom seeds, fennel seeds, and ginger powder support digestive health and help avoid digestive irritants like acidity and also control baby-colic. A large fraction of customers who purchase these from the EYP shop is pregnant moms.
You may also order these from us to save your time and effort. Product link - Multigrain Baked Methi Mathri
Some Important Tips about Baked Methi Mathri Recipe:
- As you will see in the recipe, I have used a combination of different flours to nutritionally enhance the mathri. You may also add other flours such as oats and quinoa flour. Similarly, if you do not have any particular flour other than wheat, you may skip that.
- Do not compromise with the amount of ghee (fat / mowen) as we are already baking the mathri.
- Resting the dough for 30 minutes is necessary to develop the gluten in the dough.
- Baking time will vary with the thickness of the mathri. So keep an eye on them. Once little brown from both sides take them out and let them cool down. They would get crunchy after getting cold only.
Methi Mathri - Baked Recipe
- 1 cup Whole wheat regular/multigrain flour Atta
- ½ cup Coarse wheat flour Motta/laddu atta
- ¼ cup All purpose flour Maida
- ¼ cup Chickpea flour Besan
- ¼ cup Pearl millet flour Bajra
- ¼ cup Finger millet flour Raagi
- ¼ cup Sorghum flour Jowar
- ¼ cup Amaranth flour Rajgira
- 1 cup Almond flour
- 150 gm Fresh fenugreek Methi chopped - 2 cups
- 1 cup Ghee Ghee or your choice of oil
- ½ cup Milk
- Mix all the dry ingredients first and then chopped methi leaves.
- Now add ghee to your flour mixture and mix.
- Mixture should be very crumbly at this point. Since, I was baking them I didn’t compromise with the amount of ghee (fats/Mowen).
- Now start adding milk little by little making sure your dough needs to be really stiff.
- Knead the dough for 10-15 minutes and keep it aside for 30 minutes. Resting is very important in order to develop the gluten in the dough.
- Divide the dough into small balls and then press them between the palms and arrange them on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven at 375oF and place the baking sheet in the oven.
- Bake for 12 minutes on first side then flip all of mathris and bake for another 10 minutes. Time will vary with the thickness of the mathri. So keep an eye on them. Once little brown from both sides take them out and let them cool down. They would get crunchy after getting cold only.
- Taste a few and transfer the rest to an airtight container for storage.