The Moong Dal Vada recipe to make in a healthier way with the same delicious taste we crave for. I have used a seasoned cast iron takoyaki plate to shallow fry instead of deep-frying. This proposed method makes this appetizer much better on the health chart. Also shown below are several variations on how you may serve these with different accompaniments.
Making Dal Vada (Lentil Fritters) in Healtier Way
However, traditionally these fritters are deep-fried and all the above nutritional benefits are lost during the frying process. Fried food, as everybody knows, leads to clogged arteries which in turn lead to strokes, Alzheimer’s, and other serious health issues. Below is an attempt to make low-fat Green Gram Lentils (Chilka Moong Dal) Fritters but with the same authentic taste.
Health Benefits of the Main Ingredient of Moong Dal Vada
Green Gram Lentils (Chilka Moong Dal) have a lot of nutritional benefits. They are a good source of protein, high in dietary fiber, and low in calories. It has a low GI (glycemic index), which makes it good for people with diabetes. These lentils are also easy to digest making them an attractive option for people with a sensitive stomach.
Different Ways of Relising Moong Dal Vada or Lentill Fritters
Moong dal vada can be served in many different ways. Depending on the season, location, and mood you may see them served with different accompaniments and in different forms. Here I have shown to of my most often used ways of serving moong dal vadas.
Variation 1: Plain Fritters Topped with Yoghurt and Tamarind Chutney
This particular version is not vegan due to the use of yogurt. Soak the fritters in salted warm water for 15 minutes and then squeeze all the water out from each fritter. Now, either dip the soaked fritters in yogurt or just top with yogurt on the plate. Sprinkle some roasted cumin-powered, black chili powder and salt on top. Serve with mint cilantro and tamarind dip (green chutney and saunth).
Variation 2: Modified or Plain Fritters served as a savory and tangy snack (chaat - Ram Laddu)
'Ram Ladoo' is very famous street food in northern India. The flavors of radish and green gram (moong) lentil fritters complement each other very well!
If you are planning to use this variation, you can either use plain fritters as described above or add green onions and radish to the batter mix before making a fritter. This will further enhance the flavor of the fritters and at the same time increase nutritional benefits. Radishes are rich in folate, fiber, riboflavin, and potassium. They are also a good source of copper, vitamin B6, magnesium, manganese, and calcium.
Mix the fritters in a bowl with some grated radish, green mango, mint cilantro chutney, chopped cilantro, chopped fresh mint, and lemon juice.
Your savory and tangy snack 'Ram-Laddu' is ready.
Moong Dal Vada (Lentil Fritters) - Low Fat Ebelskiver Pan Version
- Green Gram Lentil Preparation - Wash and soak the lentils for two hours.2 cups Green gram lentils
- Then strain it and blend in in a blender.
- Transfer the batter into a mixing bowl and add green chilies, ginger, cilantro and spices (salt, red chili flakes, cumin seeds and asafoetida).5 g Green chilies, 15 g Cilantro, 1 teaspoon Salt, ½ teaspoon Red chili flakes, 1 teaspoon Cumin seeds, 1 teaspoon Fennel seeds, ⅛ teaspoon Asafetida, 25 g Ginger
- If you are making fritters for Ram Ladoo, then add the optional ingredients; radish daikon and green onions.75 g Radish, 50 g Green Onions
- Mix it rigorously to make it uniform.
- Heat the seasoned cast iron takoyaki plate on medium heat and brush each cavity with oil.
- Now pour the batter in each of the cavities and flip it after few minutes when bottom side is brown.
- If the pan is seasoned properly then the batter won't stick to the pan and fritters should easily flip with just a stick.
- After removing from the pan, let the fritters rest on mesh to keep the crispy while they cool a little bit.
- Your fritters are now ready.
- If you want you can use the skinned lentils also, but I prefer to use lentils with skin for their nutritional benefits.
- Here, I have used a seasoned cast iron takoyaki plate in place of appe pan.