Cold temperatures call for a heartwarming soup! Lentils and sweet potatoes make a creamy, comforting soup with blended savory & sweet flavors. Nutritionally dense sweet potatoes and protein-rich red lentils are simmered together with aromatics ginger, onion, and warming spices to make this delicious and hearty soup.
The warmth in this lentil and sweet potato soup comes from fresh ginger and dried spices like, cumin, turmeric, cayenne and garam masala. Cashews add creaminess to an already creamy soup. A touch of lemon juice, at the end elevates the flavor to the next level. For an optional crunch, top it with toasted sunflower seeds or pepitas. Drizzle a little EVOO and freshly crushed black pepper for the final touch before serving.
How to Cook Lentil and Sweet Potato soup in Instant Pot?
This soup is easy to make when cooked on a stovetop. However, you still need to keep a constant watch for boiling it over. Also, it needs to be stirred often.
Instant pot makes it almost a dump and go one pot meal. It can’t get easier than this. Red lentils get pressure cooked really quickly, which makes this an ideal recipe for weeknights. This recipe only needs 10 minutes of active time to get it done in Instant Pot.
To make this soup in the Instant pot, start by sautéing ginger onions and cashews. Then added sweet potatoes, red lentils, spices and water (or broth if you prefer that). Pressure cook, blend and soup is ready to enjoy!
How to Store Leftovers Soup?
Leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 5 – 6 days in an airtight container. Simply re-warm on the stovetop or in the microwave. It makes a great meal prep for the week with a side of garlic bread.
How to Freeze Red Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup?
Yes, it freezes well for months! I personally prefer to freeze this soup in portions which I am going to use next time in a freezer safe container. That way, whenever I am ready to serve warm soup to my family, I just pull required portions out from the freezer, thaw and reheat on the stovetop over medium heat until warmed through and serve.
Why You should Try this Soup?
Vitamin and fiber rich Sweet potato and cashews make the soup creamy, comforting and naturally sweet. Red lentil adds required protein and makes it more filling. This soup is the perfect easy and quick entrée or side dish for cool weather.
Here are the reasons why you should give this soup a try:
- Both wholesome and nutrient dense
- Creamy and flavored with warming spices
- Savory, with a hint of natural sweetness
- Enriched with protein, vitamins and fibers
- Quick, one pot meal done under 40 minutes
- Great for meal prep and freezer friendly
- Gluten free and vegan recipe
- Light, yet filling and so delicious!
I hope you LOVE this ‘Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup’!
Few additional tips
- Do you have curry spice mix in your pantry? If so, you can also use curry spice mix instead of adding individual spices like turmeric powder, cayenne pepper coriander powder and cumin seeds.
- You can also add additional vegetables like carrots, celery, potatoes
- If you prefer garlicy flavor, then add a few cloves of that.
- For extra deep flavor use broth instead of water.
- This soup also works great as a pasta sauce for kids, give it a try!
Lentil and Sweet Potato Soup: Vegan & Gluten-free Instant Pot Recipe
- 15 g Ginger Root Adrak: 1 inch knob, finely chopped or grated
- 5 g Serrano Pepper Hari Mirch: 1-2 in number, finely chopped
- 150 g Onions Pyaz: 1 cup/ 150 grams/ 1 medium size, finely chopped
- 400 g Sweet Potato Shakarkandi: 2 cups/ 400 grams/ 2 medium size, peeled and cubed
- 2 tbsp Lime juice Nimbu ka ras: 2 Tablespoons, juice of one lime
- 2 tbsp Cilantro Hara Dhaniya: 2 Tablespoon, handful, finely chopped
Oil and Spices:
- 2 tbsp Avocado oil Vegetable Oil: 2 Tablespoon
- 2 tsp Cumin seeds Jeera: 2 Teaspoon
- 1 tsp Salt Namak: 1 Teaspoon (adjust as per taste)
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder Haldi: ¼ Teaspoon
- 1 tsp Cayenne pepper Lal Mirch Powder: 1 Teaspoon (adjust as per spice level)
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder Dhaniya Powder: 1 Tablespoon
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper kali Mirch: ½ Teaspoon
- 1/4 tsp Garam masala adjust as per intensity
- 4 cups Water or broth
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp Sun flower Seeds Roasted
- 1 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 15 g Kale Chips Handful: 15 grams
- Wash the lentils for 3-4 extracts of water and put aside until ready to use.
- Start the instant pot on SAUTE normal heat mode and add oil in it. Add cumin seeds, ginger, green chili and cashews to hot oil. Sauté for few seconds.
- Next, add diced onion and sauté until translucent.
- After that add cubed sweet potato and stir well.
- Add rinsed and drained lentils as well.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, cayenne pepper and coriander powder. Mix them.
- Add 4 cups water or broth and give it a good stir.
- Close the instant pot lid with vent in sealing position. Press MANUAL or PRESSURE COOK mode for two minutes with NPR (natural pressure release)
- When float valves pop down, open the lid, and blend.
- If it is too thick after blending, add some water to adjust the consistency and bring it again to boil using sauté normal heat mode.
- Add some black pepper, garam masala and lemon juice.
- Finally, top it with handful of chopped cilantros.
- Red lentil sweet potato soup is ready to be served.