Vegetable Barley Soup, a popular one-pot vegetarian meal soup can be made even more tasty and nutritious by following this recipe. This is an easy vegetarian recipe for a diabetic-friendly, protein-rich, and vegan soup. During cold weather, both mind and heart call for cozy and comforting meals. Soups or stews are a perfect compliment for cold-weather season meals.
The main ingredients of this soup are chickpeas, barley, and a lot of vegetables.
Adding Barley leads to a robust texture and flavor in the soup while providing other nutritional benefits. Chickpeas add much-needed proteins and fibers to the soup making it more hearty and filling. This soup by itself also makes a perfect light and low-carb one-pot vegetarian meal.
Don’t forget to leave a comment and or share with your friends/family if you like it. We would love to hear your feedback.
Chickpeas Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1/2 cup Garbanzo Beans soaked and boiled al dante
- 1/2 cup Barley Cooked as per package instructions al dante
- 1/2 lb Zucchini Julienned
- 4 oz Squash Juilenned
- 5 oz Carrots Julienned
- 2 cup Kale Chopped
- 12 oz Tomato Chopped
- 5 oz Celery Chopped
- 8 oz Onion Sliced
- 0.25 oz Ginger – 1 inch piece Julienned
- 2 tbsp Lemon juice – 1 to 2 tbs
- 2 tbsp Oil – 2 tbs
- Heat oil in a wide deep pan or dutch oven.2 tbsp Oil
- Add bay leaves and ginger. Then let it saute for few seconds.4 Bay leaves, 0.25 oz Ginger
- Add onions, celery and tomatoes. Saute until tender and mushy.5 oz Celery, 8 oz Onion, 12 oz Tomato
- Now add carrots, zucchini, squash and kale; one by one and saute for few minutes. Maintain the crispiness of the vegetables by not overcooking.1/2 lb Zucchini, 4 oz Squash, 5 oz Carrots, 2 cup Kale
- Add salt and black pepper to the vegetables. Mix well.2 tsp Salt, 1 tsp Black pepper
- Now add boiled chick peas and cooked barley.1/2 cup Garbanzo Beans, 1/2 cup Barley
- Mix well with rest of the vegetables.
- Add water or stock and let it simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Add more water/stock if consistency starts to become too thick. If using water, start with less water and add little by little to avoid making it to watery. Flavors become subdued if soup is too diluted.9 cups Water or stock
- After simmering is complete add rosemary and lemon juice as the last step.1/2 tsp Rosemary, 2 tbsp Lemon juice