Cucumber Raita adds a cooling effect to any meal and helps balance other spicy components. Cucumber raita is an yogurt based side dish that only takes five minutes to prepare. It is a great healthy dip to accompany with flat breads, spicy snacks, veggie sticks and chips. Cucumber Raita is my first recipe in the new series of Everyday recipes, that are simple, quick and common.
Different Types of Raita Recipes
Raita refers to whipped yogurt, with added ingredients and sometime flavoring. For example, you can make boondi raita, spinach raita, cucumber raita, carrot raita and many other fruits & vegetable combinations. Over here, I have used cucumber based on other vegetables that were already being used in the meal plan. Cucumbers are a rich source of fibers and antioxidants that promotes hydrations and weight loss.
Yogurt – An Essential Meal Component
Yogurt provides a cooling effect to any meal and at the same time provides essential probiotics to help with digestion. For many Indian families, yogurt is a necessary component of the meal to add protein, dairy, calcium and probiotics to their diet. It is a perfect low calorie food that boosts immunity and prevents from infections.
This Cucumber Raita recipe is used as part of Family Meal Ideas – Quick Indian Dinner Recipes
Cucumber Raita Ingredients
- Cucumber – 200 gm English variety, if available. 1 medium size peeled & grated
- Green chilies – 1 small size minced in mortar pestle
- Cilantro – 2 tbs finely chopped
- Greek Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Ghee – 1 tsp Optionally avocado/olive oil
- Asafoetida (Hing) -1/8 tsp
- Cumin seeds (Jeera) – 1/4 tsp
- Salt (Namak) – As per taste
- Red chili powder (Laal mirch) – 1/2 tsp adjust as per spice level
- Cumin seeds Roasted (Bhuna jeera) – 1 tsp crushed
- Black rock salt (Kala namak) – 1/4 tsp
- Dry mint powder (sukha pudina) – 1 tsp
Cucumber Raita Method
- Whisk the yogurt and minced green chilli, grated cucumber, and all the spices except first three.
- Chill until ready to serve.
- Before serving heat the little ghee in a serving spoon or tampering pan, when heated well switch off the heat and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
- When cumin starts splattering, garnish the raita with this tampering to enhance the flavor further.
“For pleasure has no relish unless we share it.”― Virginia Woolf, The Common Reader
If you like the post, please show your support by sharing it with others via your social media accounts or other venues. If more people visit our blog, we can bring more content to you faster.
Other Raita Recipes
For now, thisis the only raita recipe I have on my blog. You may refer to “Indian Raita Recipes – 10 Exciting Raita Variations” posted by Anu on her blog Simmer-to-Slimmer for more recipes.
Other Everyday Recipes on Enhance Your Palate:
Simple cucumber raita recipe to add a cooling effect to any meal and help balance other spicy components in the meal. Cucumber raita is an Yogurt based side dish, wherein greek yogurt mixed with grated cucumber and some light seasoning and spices.
- 200 gm Cucumber English variety, if available. 1 medium size peeled & grated
- 1 gm Green chilies 1 small size minced in mortar pestle
- 8 gm Cilantro 2 tbs finely chopped
- 600 gm Greek Yogurt ¼ cup
Whisk the yogurt and minced green chilli, grated cucumber, and all the spices except first three.
Chill until ready to serve.
Before serving heat the little ghee in a serving spoon or tampering pan, when heated well switch off the heat and add asafoetida and cumin seeds.
When cumin starts splattering, garnish the raita with this tampering to enhance the flavor further.