Katori Chaat literally means a cup filled with your favorite lip-smacking filling. 'Katori' is the Hindi word for cup and 'chaat' means a favorite snack (often savory) that you adore. Cup or Katori in this recipe is made of baked mathri. It is referred to as baked mathri katori or baked mathri cup.
Mathri Dahi chaat also known as papdi chaat is a very common everyday snack option for chaat lovers of all ages. Health-conscious food lovers can now opt for this baked version of mathri dahi chaat with the same great taste and flavors. The nutritional value of this chaat favorite can be further enhanced by choosing the right combination of ingredients for the dough and filling.
In this recipe, almond flour has been added to the dough to add proteins and good fats. Chickpea salad with pomegranate nuts can be used as a healthy filling option with zero fat and high protein. Another filling option can be a combination of sprouted lentils, beans, and fruits. Serve with your favorite Indian sauces. Health-conscious food lovers can now opt for this baked version of mathri dahi chaat with the same great taste and flavors.
Some more filling options in the picture below - boiled potatoes, sprouted lentil beans, boiled dried green peas, with different toppings.
Katori Chaat - Baked Mathri Cups filled with your favorite Filling
For Baked Mathri Katori / Cup
For Chickpeas Salad FIlling
- ½ cup Chickpeas boiled al dente
- ¼ cup Cucumber peeled and diced
- ¼ cup Onion ¼ medium sized diced
- ¼ cup Tomatoes chopped and strained
- ¼ cup Pomegranate kernels
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Mint chopped
- 1 tablespoon Cilantro chopped
- 3 Green chilies chopped
- ½ tablespoon Lemon juice fresh squeezed
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder (depending on your spiciness preference)
To make the Katori (Cup)
- Sift the AP flour and almond flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, ajwain and red chili flakes evenly.
- Mix the oil in the flour lightly with your finger tips to resemble crumbs.
- Add warm milk to bind the dough together.
- Do not over-knead. Keep it aside for 30 mins.
- After 30 minutes, divide into 18- 20 equal balls.
- Roll out each ball to fit into a baking cup.
- Fit rolled dough inside each of the baking cups and prepare for baking.
- Now keep all the baking cups on a baking sheet and then bake in a preheated oven at 375 Fahrenheit for 12- 15 minutes or till it turns a golden color.
- Remove and set aside to cool.