Mathari dahi chaat also known as papdi chaat is a very common every day snack option for chaat lovers of all ages. Health conscious food lovers can now opt for this baked version of mathari dahi chaat with the same great taste and flavors. Nutritional value of this chaat favorite can be further enhance by choosing the right combination of ingredients for the dough and filling. In this recipe, almond flour has been added to the dough to add proteins and good fats. Chickpea salad with pomegranate nuts can be used as a healthy filling option with zero fat and high protein. Other filling option can be combination of sprouted lentils, beans and fruits. Serve with your favorite Indian sauces. Health conscious food lovers can now opt for this baked version of mathari dahi chaat with the same great taste and flavors.
- Einkorn All Purpose Flour (I used this one you can use any all purpose flour) – 2 cups
- Almond flour – 1/4 cup
- Oil – 3 tbs
- Milk – 1/4 cup warm
- Salt as per taste
- Carom seeds (Ajwain) – 1 tsp
- Red chili flakes – 1 tsp (optional)
Method to make the katori (cups):
- Sift the AP flour and almond flour in a mixing bowl.
- Add salt, ajwain and red chili flakes evenly.
- Mix the oil in the flour lightly with your finger tips to resemble crumbs.
- Add warm milk to bind the dough together.
- Do not over-knead. Keep it aside for 30 mins.
- Remove and divide into 18- 20 equal balls.
- Roll out each ball to fit into a baking cup.
- Now keep all the baking cups on a baking sheet and then bake in a preheated oven at 375 Fahrenheit for 12- 15 minutes or till it turns a golden color.
- Remove and set aside to cool.
Serve and enjoy with your favorite fillings and sauces.
First Filling Option – Chickpeas Salad
- Chickpeas – 1/2 cup boiled al dente
- Cucumber – 1/4 cup of peeled and diced
- Onion – 1/4 medium sized diced
- Tomatoes – 1/4 cup chopped and strained
- Pomegranate kernels – 1/4 cup
- Fresh mint – 1 tbs chopped
- Fresh cilantro – 1 tbs chopped
- Green chilies – 2-3 chopped
- Lemon juice – 1/2 of fresh squeezed
- Chaat masala powder – 1 tsp
- Chili powder – 1/2 tsp (depending on your spiciness preference)
Method: Mix all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and refrigerate it until ready to use.
Some more filling options in the picture below – boiled potatoes, sprouted lentil beans, boiled dried green peas, with different toppings.