Recipe for lentil patties made with amaranth and red lentils. Amaranth is significantly more nutritious compared to wheat and rice. It is rich in proteins, iron, calcium, manganese, fiber, and other nutrients. It is common to use this grain during fasting for vegetarians in India because higher protein foods make one feel fuller for longer. Here is a recipe you could use to include this high protein grain in your diet as everybody’s favorite, i.e. just cutlet snacks or burgers patties.
When cooked right, these patties are crunchy outside and soft inside. You can serve these patties as cutlets or in burgers for vegetarian patties. In the picture below, I used these patties in a waffle burger along with onions, cabbage, cucumber, and radish. Serve with ketchup or cilantro mint chutney.
Amaranth and Red Lentil Patties
- 1/2 cup Red lentil lal-masoor – dry boiled and cooked
- 1/2 cup Amaranth rajgeera – dry boiled and cooked
- 2 cup Spinach washed drained and chopped
- 1/2 cup Pomegranate kernels
- Potatoes 1 medium sized boiled
- 1/4 cup Almond flour
- 1/4 cup Urad lentil flour
- 1/4 cup Amaranth flour optional
- 2 tbsp Chia seeds
- 2 tbsp Flaxseed meal
- 1/2 tsp Oil just enough to shallow fry the patties
- First cook lentil and amaranth separately according to package. They need to be dry not watery. In case you feel some free water, then strain with a strainer.
- Now mix everything together and the mixture should look like this picture.
- Shape them into small patties and pan-fry them on griddle at medium heat.
- When cooked right, these patties are crunchy outside and soft inside.