Pin-wheel sandwiches is the term used to describe the bite size sandwiches made by rolling bread/tortillas with a filling and then cutting into pieces. This makes these sandwiches snack size and very convenient for kids little fingers. The combinations are endless in both sweet and savory category. For your upcoming gathering, you can make these in advance and just do the final cutting and plating on the final day.
Most pin-wheel sandwich recipes do not require any cooking. Make sure you use healthy, fresh, natural and organic ingredients. In this recipe, I have made pin-wheel sandwiches with a filling made from strawberries, raspberries, cream cheeses and whipped cream. These may be served as appetizers, afternoon snack, or finger food in office parties, ladies gatherings, teacher appreciation event or for kid’s class parties.
These can be plated in many different ways depending on the theme. Image here, shows two examples. One as lollipops with colorful sprinkles and sparkling sugar, which is sure enough to attract all the kids. Second, is with strawberry and chocolate sauce drizzle to enhance the flavors. Both of these would make perfect combination for this season’s Valentine’s party.
Quick internet search on average kid’s calcium intake will reveal that approximately 45 to 50% kids don’t get enough calcium in their diet according to Office of Dietary Supplements. Hence, kids should be encouraged to consume more calcium based foods such as cream cheese. Creme cheese, in addition to being a good calcium source, is also high in protein. My kid is also a light eater, so I added good amount of heavy whip cream to support the calorie intake. You may play with the ratio of two to suit your kid’s development needs. Small size makes them a good fit for kid’s lunch box as well.
Berries, in general, are rich in vitamins, minerals, anti-oxidants and a health source of fiber. They keep you mentally sharp, manage diabetes, prevent parkinson’s disease, boost heart health, help in weight control, maintains lower blood pressure and helps fight cancer. In case of this recipe, it also gives filling the right color that goes with the theme in the air, without adding any artificial colors.
Hope you enjoy making, plating, serving and eating these sandwiches with your loved ones.
- Cream Cheese – 4 oz
- Raspberries and Strawberries – 1/2 cup grated and strained
- Heavy whipped cream – 1/2 cup
- Bread – 16 slices (not in picture)
Yield – Above quantity of ingredients will yield 8-10 servings of 3-4 pieces each.
- Wash your berries thoroughly with water. Organic berries are preferred, but still wash. Then grate and strain the berries in a strainer.
- Let all the juice strain out from the berries in order to achieve the thick consistency of filling.
- Let your cream cheese come to room temperature. Then whip the cream cheese with a fork at room temperature to smooth it out.
- Mix the grated and strained berries in the whipped cream cheese.
- Whip the heavy whipping cream with a whisker to make it light and fluffy. Put the bowl of cream over the ice while whipping to keep it cold and fasten the process. Before starting to whisk, please make sure that your cream is cold to reduce the risk of spoiling the cream. While whisking add vanilla essence, cinnamon powder and confectioners’ sugar into the cream.
- Fold the whisked whip cream into berries and cream cheese mixture.
- After mixing, cover it and put it in the fridge so that it remains cold.
- Now you can pick your favorite wholegrain seedless bread for the sandwiches. Seedless bread will ensure that you are able to easily make rolls with flattened bread.
- Remove the bread crust using a bread knife. You will need about 16 slices. Removing bread crust is a necessary step in order to be able to make the pin-wheel sandwiches. Bread will not roll with crust on.
- Now flatten the bread slices one at a time with a rolling pin by placing them in between the plastic wrap.
- Place four slices in a row as shown in the picture. Each subsequent piece should have about 1 cm overlap. Wet the overlap portion with water or butter to make the breads pieces stick properly. Now, spread the filling with a butter knife uniformly over all the pieces. Don’t overfill, otherwise the filling might ooze out while rolling.
- Now grab one side and start rolling slowly, making sure that bread does not break away. Roll until the end. After rolling them, immediately wrap them tightly in a plastic wrap. Tie the sides of the wrap to keep the moisture intact and air out.
- Keep the rolled and wrapped pieces in the fridge to let them stabilize and take shape. More you can let it cool, the better it is for the filling. If you preparing these for an upcoming event, then this is where you stop. You can leave them in the fridge for up to one day.
- When ready to serve, unwrap the rolls one-by-one and cut with a sharp knife into even bite size pieces.
- Now you pin-wheel sandwiches are ready for plating.
- To make the lollipops for kids, as shows in the picture, first make a bow using fruit leathers. Insert in a lollipop stick and then insert the sandwich. You may also use the ribbon bows instead fruit leather bows. Now sprinkle each lollipop with colorful sprinkles and red sanding sugar.
Hope you and your kids enjoy these lollipop sandwiches. Please, do leave a comment and let us know if you try it. May your palate be enhanced!