Bhindi Masala - Okra Bell Pepper Stir Fry
Enhanced Bhindi Masala recipe with Shimla Mirch, i.e. Okra Bell Pepper Stir Fry, to give it a unique flavor and colorful look. Bhindi (Hindi word for Okra) is like a staple vegetable in Northern India. Most families will cook bhindi for at least one meal during the week. My family also love bhindi, so I try to make it in different ways. This recipe needs very basic ingredients available in most household kitchens.
Servings: 4 people
- 1 lb Okra chopped in ½ inch roundels
- 150 gm Potatoes Russet/Idaho medium size diced small
- 150 gm Colored Bellpeppers ½ of each color
- 5 gm Green Chilies: 2-3 slit into halves - adjust as per spice level
- 15 gm Cilantro: handful chopped
Stove Top Method:
Heat wok/kadhai on medium heat and add oil in it. Add asafetida, carom seeds and green chilis. Sauté for few seconds.
Now add chopped okra and diced potatoes give it a good stir.
Keep stiring in between for even cooking.
It will take 15 minutes okra to cook.
Now add diced colored bell peppers.
Add all the spices and mix well.
Garnish with chopped cilantro and enjoy.
The whole dish needs to be cooked on medium heat.
Tips and Tricks of Making Perfect Crisp Bhindi Masala
Even though bhindi is an everyday vegetable, it is a tricky vegetable to cook. It can very easily get slimly and most people do not like the slimy texture. Ideally, cooked bhindi is supposed to be crispy and non-slimy. Below are some important tips to keep in mind for the same:
- Wash and dry them nicely with kitchen towel before cutting.
- There should not be any water contact after chopping the bhindi. Water will make the bhindi
- A good way to cut down the slime is to roast bhindi for 10 to 15 minutes in an over or air fryer before frying.
- Add all the spices towards the end when the bhindi is almost cooked. Even if you add the salt in the initial phase, that salt will make them slimy.
- Do not use lemon juice, instead use dry mango powder to make it tangy.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 626mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2365IU | Vitamin C: 81.8mg | Calcium: 115mg | Iron: 2.6mg