Thai Basil Eggplant: Vegan and Gluten Free
Thai-style, Eggplant stir-fried with Basil and Chili garlic sauce (Pad Prik Pao Ma Keua Praw) is soft, spicy and a little sweet recipe. Thai basil adds a very fresh flavor to this vegan, gluten free and delicious stir fry eggplant recipe. A simple sauce, eggplant, onions, peppers, and Thai basil come together quickly to make a delicious vegan side dish or main meal dish when served over rice, noodles, or quinoa.
Oil and Spices
- 3 tablespoon Avocado Oil or any Preferred vegetable oil: divided
- 1 teaspoon Black pepper divided
- ½ teaspoon Salt divided (adjust as per your taste)
- 1 lb Long eggplants Japanese or Chinese: 2 long, diced ½ inch diagonally
- 8 oz Tofu Super firm: ½ of a block
- 250 g Red onion 1 medium diced into large cubes
- ½ cup Green bell pepper ¼ of pepper diced into large cubes
- ½ cup Red bell pepper ¼ of pepper diced into large cubes
- ½ cup Yellow bell pepper ¼ of pepper diced into large cubes
- 20 g Ginger 2-inch knob thinly julienned
- 1 tablespoon Garlic 2-3 cloves minced
- 3 g Thai Green Chili or Serrano: 2-3 in number thinly julienned
- 20 g Thai Basil 1 cup leaves
Prep work Instructions:
Prepare sauce: Mix all the ingredients listed under sauce in a small bowl, whisk them all together and keep it aside. Add more sriracha sauce if you prefer spicier.
Prepare Eggplant: To prepare eggplants cut off the top and bottom tips and sliced them diagonally into ½ inch thick slices. Season the sliced eggplant with salt, pepper, oil and air fry them at 350-degree F for 8 minutes. Once done keep them aside.
Prepare tofu: To prepare tofu, wrap between kitchen paper towel and squeeze as much possible water out. Then chop into bite size, season with oil, salt, pepper and air fry at 350-degree for 8 minutes.
To Prepare the Recipe:
Heat oil in a pan on a medium pan, once oil is hot, add julienned ginger, green chilis, minced garlic and sauté for a minute or until garlic turned little brown.
Now, add cubed onions and stir fry for 1 to 2 minutes on high heat, they should remain crunchy.
Then add cubed bell pepper and stir fry along with onions for another minute, try not to overcook them to maintain the crunch.
Now, add air fried eggplant and tofu to stir fried vegetables and give a quick mix.
Next, stir in the prepared sauce mixture and stir to coat the eggplant and veggies, lower the heat to avoid overcooking.
In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch into ¼ cup water, making sure the cornstarch is fully dissolved, then add it to the pan and stir gently until the sauce is thickened, about 30 – 40 seconds.
Turn of the heat and let the eggplant and veggies cool down for a minute, then toss in the basil and fold it carefully into the eggplant. You just want basil to wilt a little.
Serve immediately with some hot fried rice as a one-dish meal, or on a small plate as a vegetable side dish to be eaten with other foods.
Calories: 284kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 450mg | Potassium: 545mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 979IU | Vitamin C: 84mg | Calcium: 127mg | Iron: 2mg