Thai Green Curry Paste made from fresh ingredients will give you the best flavors for your dish. Best of all, it has no preservative or additive. It is really simple to make and very healthy too. Simply mix all the ingredients, blend and ready to use. To reduce your work further, make a double or triple batch of this and freeze it. For your next dish where you want to use the same flavors, all you have to do is pop some cubes out of the freezer.
- Lemon Grass – 3 stalks chopped
- Green Thai Chilies – 12 to 15 chilies depending on your spice level
- Shallots – 3 medium size chopped
- Garlic – 4 to 6 cloves based on taste
- Galangal – 100 gms (three thumb size pieces; if you not able to find galangal then use ginger instead)
- Cilantro – 3 cups chopped leaves and stems
- Basil – 1 cup
- Coconut milk – 1/2 cup
- Soy sauce – 2 tbs (for Gluten or Wheat Free version use Tamari instead)
- Lemon Juice – 3 tbs or more depending on taste
- Sugar – 2 tbs
- Coriander powder – 1 tbs
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tbs
- Black pepper powder – 1 tbs
Above quantity of ingredients will be enough to make curry paste for 3 – 4 batches for a family of four. Most of the Thai curry pastes available in stores use fish sauce or shrimp paste as one of the ingredients. You are welcome to use it also, if you prefer. I have not used it to keep the dish vegetarian.
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and blend till you get a fine paste and you are done.
- Really…. there are no more steps.
If you feel like, you can taste the curry and personalize it according to your taste by adjusting the spices. Remember, this is not cooked, so it is going to taste little strong. Now you can use this curry past in your dish or you can store it for future use, like I do.
Freeze these and then whenever you need Thai green curry flavors, simply pop a few cubes and use them.
If you try it once, you are never going to use the store bought Thai curry paste for your Thai dishes.