Steel cut oats are becoming increasingly more popular over other kind of grains due to to their excellent health benefits. Oats are often referred to as power foods since they are full of proteins, fibers, and also a source of many vitamins and minerals. Try this recipe out to include steel-cut oats in your diet as a healthy and yummy treat…
This recipe is a combination of two separate processes. The first step is to pre-cook the steel-cut oats with coconut milk, which could then be used in different oat recipes. The second step is to use this ingredient and make Savory Masala Oats shown in the featured image.
Ingredients for the first step are shown in the image below.
You can pre-cook oats in a big batch and store some in the fridge for use later in other recipes. Below is one way of preparing these cooked oats.
Ingredients for the second step are shown below:
Savory masala oats are good for breakfast, quick lunch, kids lunch box or any other meal. Hope you like it.
Mix-veg Savory Masala Steel Cut Oats
For Steel-cut Oat Cooked in Coconut Milk:
For Savory Masala Oats Recipe:
- 1 cup Oats pre-cooked
- 1 cup Green peas
- 120 g Onion 1 medium size diced into small pieces
- 1 cup Broccoli florets
- 100 g Carrot 1 medium size diced finely
- 200 g Bell pepper any color or mixed – 1 chopped finely
- 10 g Green chilies 2 to 3 chopped depending on your spice level preference
- 20 g Ginger 1 inch piece of chopped
- 5 g Curry leaves few
- 1/4 cup Mixed nuts
- 1/2 tbs Oil to cook
- 2 tbsp Lime juice Juice of 1 lime or lemon
- 20 g Cilantro hand full chopped
- Heat coconut oil in sauce pan until melted then roast steel cut oats until golden and fragrant.
- Add in 2 cups of water bring it to a boil now add 1 cup of coconut milk and let it simmer for 20- 25 minutes.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- TIP: Until this point you can cook oats in a big batch and store some in the fridge for use later in other recipes. Below is one way of preparing these cooked oats.
Method to make Savory Masala Oats
- Heat oil in a wide pan and then add a pich of asofoetida, cumin and mustard seeds.
- When seeds start spluttering, add mixed nuts and roast for a minute until they are golden brown in color.Now add ginger chilies and curry leaves to the mixture.
- Saute for a minute then add chopped onion and cook until onions become translucent
- While continuing to stir add broccoli, peas, carrots and pepper
- Now add all the spices and mix it again to make sure all the spices are well mixed.
- Finally add oats. Mix and let it cook for a few minutes to soak all the flavors.
- Lastly sprinkle cilantro and add some lemon juice.