During cold weather, both mind and heart call for cozy and comforting meals. Soups or stews are a perfect compliment for the cold weather season meals. Below is an easy vegetarian recipe for a diabetic friendly, protein rich, vegan and gluten free soup. Main ingredients of this soup are chickpeas, barley and lot of vegetables. Adding Barley leads to a robust texture and flavor in the soup while providing other nutritional benefits. Chickpeas add much needed proteins and fibers to the soup making it more hearty and filling. This soup by itself also makes a perfect light and low carb one pot vegetarian meal.
- Chickpeas – 1/2 cup dry (soaked and boiled al dante)
- Barley – 1/2 cup dry (Cooked as per package instructions al dante)
- Zucchini – 2 medium size julienned
- Squash – 1 small juilenned
- Carrots – 3 small julienned
- Kale – 2 cups chopped
- Tomatoes – 3 to 4 whole chopped
- Celery – 3 stalk chopped
- Onion – 1 medium sliced
- Ginger – 1 inch piece julienned
- Lemon – 1 to 2 tbs
- Oil – 2 tbs
- Bay leaves – 3 to 4
- Salt – as per taste
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Rosemary – 1/2 tsp fresh
- Water or stock – 8 to 10 cups depending on desired consistency. Water preferred to keep the sodium level low.
Above ingredient quantities will yield 6 t0 7 servings
- Heat oil in a wide deep pan or dutch oven.
- Add bay leaves and ginger. Then let it saute for few seconds.
- Add onions, celery, tomatoes and saute until tender and mushy.
- Now add carrots, zucchini, squash and kale; one by one and saute for few minutes. Maintain the crispiness of the vegetables by not overcooking.
- Add salt and black pepper to the vegetables. Mix well.
- Now add boiled chick peas and cooked barley. Mix well with rest of the vegetables.
- Add water or stock and let it simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Add more water/stock if consistency starts to become too thick. If using water, start with less water and add little by little to avoid making it to watery. Flavors become subdued if soup is too diluted.
- After simmering is complete add rosemary and lemon juice as the last step.
- Before serving do a taste test and adjust salt, pepper and lemon juice accordingly.
Don’t forget to leave a comment and or share with your friends/family if you like it. We would love to hear your feedback.
Thank you – Enhance Your Palate